Sunday, 16 October 2011

We cried Wolfe

I read the email from George "It is so beautiful today with tomorrow promised the same that I am sure that I will be able to manage a twenty in one go. So let’s just go for An (sic) approximate 20"

I had the route in my head (apart from the bit where we had to jump over two locked gates barricading a public footpath and run up a hill) and so at 6.30am I pulled up outside George's house who was waiting in his porch. Having read his email I don't think the two of us had taken into consideration that it was zero degrees centigrade in parts and were thankful that we had brought our running jackets. A short drive later we were up and out of the car shivering on the roadside donning our kit within a mile I had my hands rolled up inside my sleeves and George running with his hands in his pocket as we left the bright lights of town to enter the surrounding countryside.

The pre-dawn light was sufficient to run on the trails but we had to run for about 40 minutes before the sun poked its head above the horizon and shone down on a beautiful frosted and misted North Downs. George and I were soon heard waxing lyrical about the views which were stunning as the orange golden light extended the shadows and began to warm our goose bumped legs. 

Stopping briefly in Knockholt to watch the valley below filled to the brim with fog likening it to a white lake I was a little bit morbid in my description as I saw it as the river Styx, the boundary between Earth and the Underworld, imagining that Phlegyas would float through the mists to take our souls. Shaking this thought from my mind we descended the ridge into the fog to be hit by a wall of cold and find the fields covered in hoar frost, luckily no Phlegyas, but we did find one of the elusive "secret" exits to the M25 that are not shown on road maps and were able to view the traffic thundering past us with no barrier between us and them!

At this time of year the harvests have been done and the fields freshly ploughed hiding public footpaths so reclaiming our right to cross we were soon seen clomping across a field racking our brains to remember whether it was a public or permissive path as we approached the other side towards the farmer in his enormous tractor, indeed it was public but our feet were now covered in dried mud making the going a little tougher.

We finally reached our target, General James Wolfe's statue, well I did, realising I had lost George who had stopped off in the churchyard to read a few headstones and get some history. So after a short break we were back off on the trail again retracing our steps, this time with no fog which was fast burning off and we were a little warmer as we got back to car having run a cracking 19 miles completing a 50 mile week (minus 0.8 miles)  but still pleasing 


  1. Nice one, is that Winnie reposed on the lawn behind you? lol

  2. Indeed it was Mark, my daughter had borrowed my camera so all I could get was this little snap with my mobile phone